Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Coffee Saga: Day 1

I got to talk to my mommy today on the phone! That always makes me happy. Also what makes me happy is Audrey Hepburn singing "Moon River" and it's been stuck in my head all day when I haven't been humming the Civil Wars' songs.

Anyhoo- for the past four weeks I have been jittery and shaking uncontrollably for the first few hours in the day and the shaking was getting worse each day. Which greatly concerns me since diabetes runs in my family. I didn't think it was low blood sugar though since I was forcing myself to eat and it wasn't calming down the way blood sugar does (I have lots of experience in this field sadly). After a few weeks of being in denial, I then had coffee at 5pm. During class. In which case I started shaking again. Ben Natrin was my witness.

Thus begins the saga. Cara is no longer consuming coffee-- which is tragic! I am known for my unhealthy addiction to coffee and am defined by many people. (Also note how I am self-diagnosing and not spending money on a medical bill when I think that I know what the problem is. If the problem persists, then I shall see a doctor.)

Today was Day 1 without coffee. Luckily, I have a wide selection of teas and since the caffeine in tea diffuses into the body at a more regulated and slower pace than from coffee, I think I can drink tea. So far, I wasn't that shaky today. So that's good! Shockingly, I didn't have a withdrawal headache either!! Hopefully I won't since I was only down to one strong large cup a day instead of my record of constant consumption. I was very lethargic and narcoleptic though. I'm told I'll get the headaches soon which is probs true but usually I get them within 2 hours of not having coffee so this is a great step for me. Yay!

Also- I was thinking of giving up coffee for Lent but Lent doesn't start for another 2 weeks and I've already given up coffee as of today. Suggestions for what else to give up?

2 comments: