Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Road Trip: The Night Before

2 days after I graduated from college, I went on a 6-day road trip with Michael Natrin throughout New England and into Canada. That trip was hands-down the best trip I've been on outside of 2 mission trips overseas. It was also probably the first trip I could ever consider to be a real vacation. (I grew up 10 mins away from a log cabin on a river so we never travelled anywhere and a few times that I can barely remember because I was less than 6 years old we went to Ocean City, NJ while my dad had business near there but that was only for a day or two and was always stressful with my family.)

I left my parents' home on a Sunday night to sleep in Newark because we were leaving early Monday and I live in the opposite direction we were headed. My brother offered to take me so I packed up my stuff into his little red, fancy Honda Prelude and we drove. On 273 near Fair Hill, right before Appleton Rd though, (going like 65-70), a little fancy Camaro passed us while we were going down a hill. At the bottom of the hill, that car had sparks FLY out from under it and we thought they had bottomed out on the bridge. As it was pulling over, we slowed to like 50 mph (the posted speed limit). We soon realized though that it wasn't that they bottomed out but something was in the road. In other words, as our headlights started to light up that area, a portion of the road was not lighting up but was still very dark. Before we realized it was something, we hit it.

A giant tire.

My brother's Prelude tried driving over a giant tire (rim and all). We think that tire fell off a Jeep or a truck. My side of the car was the one that actually went over it (thanks, David). We thought we were okay until we realized that steam was coming up from the hood so we had to pull over too. Basically, the tire destroyed the front of my brother's car. It ripped the air conditioning unit, destroyed the frame, the bumpers, part of the radiator, etc.

Luckily, I had Nationwide which is like AAA and they sent a tow truck out to get us. Unfortunately, David and I had to call my parents to get the number. Worst decision ever. My dad freaked out, drove 40 minutes out, wouldn't let any of my friends pick me up (they were only 10 minutes away and Michael had already offered) so he slowed down the whole process. My mother also decided to be the liaison on calling the insurance company, but she's 68 years old and forgot details so when the police came and asked us questions, we had to call her and not get any answers which frustrated everyone.

But compared to the other car, we were extremely relaxed and chill. The 2 passengers in the other car were freaking out. They were furious and then they got nervous when the tow truck came so they stripped out everything out of their car (I think they had illegal stuff in there and their stereo setup was so expensive and probs exceeded legal limits on sound and whatnot that they didn't want it to get stolen). But they were freaking out like it was their job.

I'm glad I know how to stay calm in situations. I'm sure if I was physically hurt, it would be a whole other story. I'm also glad that God clearly was with us and protected us since no one was hurt yet the cars were totaled.  My favorite psalm is Psalm 34 and in it, verse 19-20 says,
"The righteous person may have many troubles,
   but the LORD delivers him from them all;
20 he protects all his bones,
   not one of them will be broken."
 My God is a protector. It's nice having one to run to, especially since I attract a lot of creepy people and can get into some uncomfortable or frazzling situations. Knowing that I have a god that will protect me and that won't let harm come to me that He doesn't will is nice. I was so thankful that David wasn't freaking out either. Apparently he was already thinking about buying a new car (a VW GTI and it's super nice and fancy with plaid seats) so the accident helped him make that decision.

Also, since I'm reflecting back on it, I think that I shouldn't have been so frustrated with my parents. I technically became independent from them but they may not see it that way. And 2 of their 4 children were in an accident and I'm sure that's not a nice phone call to receive so I can't blame them for wanting to help and be present. I supposed I'd be freaking out too.

This accident was the first story on my road trip! And it was techincally before the road trip began too. Stories and thoughts on the real road trip will come soon (: yay!

1 comment:

  1. yay road trips! and you have your passport back now ^_^

    ReplyDelete