Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Road Trip: Portland, Maine and Homeless guys

Ok... after we left Boston, we headed to Portland, Maine. I was excited to visit because rumor had it that lumberjacks and hipsters live there (: We decided to drive through Salem just so we could see witches. That was fun.We got to Portland probably around 5ish. Michael wanted to play at another open mic so he called the bar and asked what time it started. It started at some ridiculously early hour, like 6:30, which we weren't expecting since our campsite still had to be setup. The campsite we chose was really nice. They had a lake and firepits and a playground and paddle boats and French-speaking babies in the bathrooms. And sand. My feet were very dirty so I felt like a hipster.

There was a little bit of a misunderstanding I think when I started explaining my history with camping to people. Yes, I had been camping (in tents) before. However, I was not a boy scout (shocking, I know), and the men in my family get feisty and grumpy and don't let women touch anything so I never helped SET-UP camp. I was worried that Michael was going to hate me but he didn't seem that frustrated with my inadequate tarp-putting-up abilities. (Ben would have judged me though.) The sky looked like it was going to storm, hence the tarp, but God made it clear up and be a nice evening without rain so it was a good day to camp.
Our campsite!
After we set up camp, we went into town to find this bar. I think this bar was my favorite because of all the random types of people. First, the lady running the open ic was really nice and chatty and the waiter, although pokey, was cute. Then, there was this really bad gent who played who loved Jesus, which is nice, but my ears hurt after him (even though he had 9 albums out). When he left the bar, he screamed " *insert his name* is leaving the building!!!" and I lol'd. 
But the most epic man was the homeless guy. When Michael and I got there, we wanted to eat and so we found some seats at an awkward bar in the back corner (where there were only 3 seats). We only took up 2 so this gruff older gentleman came and sat down and was eating/drinking and he had a pad of paper with him. I thought he could be homeless or he could be a crazy yet important man (like the owner or a music person). He was homeless.

All was fine with this dear old man until Michael went to tune his guitar outside. Which happened to be where the guy went out to smoke. Apparently they chatted for a few minutes before Michael went up to play a few songs. (Which by the way, apparently he was 'on tour' since they announced that he was, win.) I was in charge of the cameras and recording video and taking pictures. And eating the amazing seafood sliders and Smutty Nose beer (that meal was all win and no fail and was glorious). Halfway through the first song, the man realized that I was associated with the guitarist because of the cameras. So he leans over towards me and starts asking me about the cameras and the lighting and the audio and stuff that didn't really make sense. I didn't really want to talk since I was trying to not record my voice (or his) but that failed. I answered back.

This man then decided to ask me how the tour was and where we were going and what we have seen and where we were from. Teehee- he thought I was a roadie or a manager. When I explained we were headed towards Vermont, he went on about how beautiful Vermont was. Then he said that he'd love to go with us but he had to get dialysis done every 3 days so he couldn't. (Phew!)

Around this time, Michael finished playing his songs. I think this was the first (that I remember at least) and last time I will ever see him come rushing back while I'm interacting with a creeper. Usually he stands back and watches me suffer until I come running to hide behind him (I prefer hiding behind Ben because he's taller). Of course, he probably did that because he had no where else to go and the food was next to me.

Anyway, homeless guy told me to stick around after the feature to listen to him recite poetry but the feature was a terrible cover band and I was falling asleep at the bar so we left during it to go make S'mores back at the campsite.

I liked Portland a lot. I think it's a tie between Boston, Portland and Burlington.

Random tangent: I'm still convinced that bringing air mattresses while camping is cheating. But it's very comfy that way so I shouldn't complain.
I came back after showering and
there were electronics everywhere

PS- Is Dan Messick alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment