Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK, Jr's Day

Today is probably the one day a year when America reflects on the injustices that has occurred within our own borders, on our own citizens by our own citizens. And today is the day that everyone quotes Martin Luther King, Jr's famous "I had a dream" speech. (Sometimes I wish that we would learn some of his other speeches too because I know they are very good as well.)

The famous question that is always being asked on this day is did we accomplish his dream? I've been perusing the news and other people's opinions on various blogs about what they think and there seems to be a general consensus that the USA has come a very long way in helping to achieve MLK, Jr's dream but we aren't there yet.

Seeing firsthand, I can tell we aren't finished accomplishing this dream. It hurts a lot when I go home and I can see what racism does. My friend can't date a certain person because of his background. A friend's father won't hire someone because his skin-color automatically makes him "lazy." A coworker gets a promotion and everyone claims it's because of minority status.

Fortunately, we have come a long way. And I want to celebrate this fact. My parents will tell me stories about when they were growing up and how life was like. My town has come a long way; even throughout history, this is a fast pace that we're trying to change.

There's a mural in Philadelphia that represents victims of crimes. Right next to it is a mural representing the the oppressors and criminals. (Supposedly the victims and oppressors worked together to help create the murals.) On the oppressors' mural there is a poem on it and some lines from it say,
"I am... all human... all hues of man."
 I think that these murals represent both sides of our lives. All too often, Americans like being the victim. We think, "This is what happened to me, this is why I am the way I am and it wasn't my fault" but we do not acknowledge all the times that we oppress others. These two murals combined I think represent my life: victimized and yet oppressing others in a terrible cycle that I can't get out of.

But some day, the cycle will end. We all are born sinners, battling with these injustices and problems. And because of this, we will have problems. No matter how hard we try, there will be problems. However, through God's glory and love and power, these problems will one day be resolved.
"The Lord sets the prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the strangers; [the Lord] upholds the orphan and the widow."
- Psalm 146:7-9
 I believe that I have been set free from injustices and because of this faith one day the earth will be restored and then all will be made right. I don't believe that because I have faith in a Saviour that I won't ever see or experience injustices (on either side) on this broken earth but it will change some day. I do believe that Christ is the person that changes hearts, not laws, not policies, and not force. The Holy Spirit is what will cause souls to stir and continue to seek justice and repentance.

Our nation has come a long way. We still need to seek out humility and an attitude that is willing to change. I personally think that more change would be witnessed if we understood and focused on the heart change and not a policy change. What's in our hearts as individuals, as a town, as a state and as a nation is ultimately is what will bring about the fulfillment of MLK's dream.
"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.
This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day."
 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment